Monday, January 7, 2008

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix / A

Review by David Bock

Initial Thoughts...
In the latest installment of the Order of the Phoenix I could say I was a bit ready for a disappointment. Having read all the books I knew what was coming. I knew we would lose the fun little quirky characters in the books that I had known to love in the need to cut scenes to fit it into a film. I knew Dobby would be removed, the house elf preservation society, and something would be changed to make it work. I was ready to be as angry as I was when Dr. Hammond was alive and well in the second Jurassic Park movie. And with a director I had never heard of before, I was even more worried.

I was grossly mistaken. What a shock I was in for. Looking back I still think my worries were understandable. Despite removing plot elements that I knew they would they didn't create any stories that didn't make sense. As well, they didn't remove anything too important.

The good...
The movie's graphics and audio on my HD DVD (same for Blu-ray) was beyond astonishing. The battle at the end between Voldemort and Dumbledore was one of the most taxing audio tracks I think my system has ever pumped out. The sound was fully immersive sucking sound from one speaker to the next and flowing all around the room. To say I was amazed is putting it lightly. All I could do was hold back the tears of joy as their wands connected, my sub exploded and the glass shattered. The graphics were great as well as any previous installment though I wish they would be consistent with the creatures. The change in the look of the dementors, though, was unnecessary and I preferred the original look better.. 

The films opening and ending sequences were the best in the entire film, and though feeling different that previous installments felt like they belonged. Imelda Staunton played a delightfully dreadful Delores Umbridge. Her room of animated kitty plates was brilliantly pulled off. I honestly find it hard to pick out scenes I didn't like. The film is perfect in every sense and even though it's not an oscar winning movie it's fantastic nonetheless.

If you get a chance be sure to watch the deleted scenes of Emma Thompson playing blindly with her food as Umbridge is introduced.

The Bad...
Honestly I can't think of anything besides some of the acting and that Michael Gambon plays Dumbledore a little to hard edged, but this is minor and doesn't have an effect on astonishing performances by the entire cast. Bravo!

Final Thoughts...
If you haven't seen this film yet. Buy it. Get a huge surround sound system, crank it, sit back and enjoy the ride. You're in for a good one and you'll be begging for the sixth film, which I hope Yates does just as well! .....A

-David Bock, Cold Coffee Movies

No comments: